Saturday, May 30, 2009

Grand Canyon Expedition

This is Megan blogging - I am Katie's sister. She has given me the keys to her blog while she is away. If you didn't catch the last paragraph of her last post - she is going rafting down the Grand Canyon for the next three weeks!

The first check-in from Katie came on Wednesday (also, her birthday) as Katie and Brad began their journey driving across the great state of Nevada to get to Las Vegas for the night. What a way to spend a birthday! After several days of traveling to the Grand Canyon, packing and repacking, meeting up with their group, they will hit the water Saturday morning. From then on, no cell coverage for 16 days! Could you do it? No way!- er, I mean, I'm not sure I could.

Katie has emailed a schedule and a couple updates before she left - and this has been my favorite update so far:
"Supposedly there will be a phone in Phantom Ranch on the river on the 6th or 7th day of our trip. If so, I will call mom and dad and they can let everyone know how it’s going. Don’t be alarmed if I don’t call on the 6th or 7th day as sometimes that phone is out of order. It is in the middle of nowhere so it may not work. Or sometimes there is not room for all of the boats to park there so we would have to pass it by. "

Hard core, is all I can say.

To better familiarize myself with where my sister is going to be for the next several weeks, I found a couple educational and cool sites you should check out - something we should all know about one of our own national greats!

> Fly-through Grand Canyon Animation
> Virtual Tour Map of Grand Canyon National Park
(click on the upper right red dot - Lees Ferry - where Katie and Brad will begin their adventure) I should also add - Brad is a certified boat guide on the Grand Canyon. I am probably not listing his certification correctly, but whatever it is officially called, it makes us all feel better that he has earned a living in recent history taking people down the Grand Canyon in flotation devices - he knows what he's doing : ).

So while Katie is gone, I will be the guest blogger, and will pass on any updates I get from her. I also have a few Tahoe-related topics to share too.

Hope you are having a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment