Tuesday, July 28, 2009

It's a dog's life...

What to do with your pooch in Tahoe? Having 2 canine children myself, I have some ideas on dog friendly places and other useful information. (Jasper is the big gray one, Lily is the spotted one.)



If you are going to partake in the fun at Northstar or Squaw, both villages are very dog friendly. Don't be surprised to find water bowls outside stores and treats inside. Leashes are a must! Your animal friend will think the these Villages were made just for them.
Most hiking and biking trails are dog friendly. You will want to make sure you know whether it is a "leash required" trail or a "voice command" trail (meaning that your dog does not have to be on a leash but must be in control).
The beaches around Lake Tahoe are fairly restrictive regarding dogs (for obvious reasons). Check out this link and scroll down to "Lake Tahoe" to see where it is ok for the pooches to play.

For a more laid back water experience, try Boca or Stampede reservoirs, just off the Hirschdale exit on I-80. These are both beautiful reservoirs with warmer water and nice views. Bring your beach chairs and an umbrella while your dog frolics in the water. You can drive right down to the waters edge in some places.

Staying in a pet-unfriendly place, but still want your dog in Tahoe? Try the Truckee-Tahoe kennels. I have not boarded my dogs there but know a lot of people who have. All good reviews.

Need a vet? I have recently discovered a place that my older dog Jasper LOVES. (Yes, you read that right. My dog loves the vet...just this vet though). The Animal Outpatient Care Center, Dr. Brooks Bloomfield 530-587-5144. They have been amazing with my dogs and me...they have a whole new spin on how you treat dogs at the vet that is VERY refreshing and good for the dog. Not to mention that the waiting room is full of nice plush dog beds. Sierra Pet Clinic is a good place too.
Squaw hosts the "Bark Fest" not to be missed by dog lovers. Click here for more info. This is a benefit for the Truckee Tahoe Humane Society on Sept. 19 and 20.
And some dog quotes to leave you with...
We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. In return, they give us their all. it’s the best deal man has ever made – m. acklam
If your dog is fat, you aren’t getting enough exercise – unknown
My goal in life is to be as good of a person as my dog thinks I am – unknown
Bark on..!!

No comments:

Post a Comment